SharonL

Sharon L

"My imagination has always topped anything a movie could come up with"

-Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

The Diviners
Libba Bray
The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #2)
Anne Rice
The Carnelian Legacy
Cheryl Koevoet
Survive - Alex Morel first let me apologise, i will start this review with ranting about all the things that annoyed me about this book. then i'll say what i loved about it. 3 stars because those things balance each other.What annoys me: it is VERY convinient to have your airplane crush on a stormy, snowy and deadly mountain with climbing gear and a proffesional(!) skiing and climbing instructor. really, IF you gonna do it, THAT'S the way to do it. but it doesn't feel realistic. and yes, i understand that the book tries to answer a much more important question about life and death, and yet, if you're doing, please, try to make me feel something. which leads me to the next problem- there were to many miracles happening. and the reason why you FEEL it so badly and it's annoying is the fact that, well, when you really want a miracle to happen all of sudden the book go- "No! that can't happen in real life. com'on! be realistic!" and i think, you pushed the limits so far, but all of sudden you can't anymore? even though that's THE PLACE to do it? also the book was incoherent at times (for example: one moment Jane talks about not seeing anything, or how everthying is covvered in rocks, and all of sudden it's trees all around). What i loved: the book is written in present tense, something required if we consider the sypnoses. the romance between Paul and Jane was sweet, and paul didn't feel like a girl. and Jane, well, she was honest with the reader but not with herself. as a result, the reader understands quite fast that Jane feels obliged to die- considering how her family from her father side tends to be suicidal, and as she's the only one left she feels like it's her turn- more then wanting to. and as the story progress she admitts it to herself. also, i really, really loved how Jane's mother lives in her memory- living the house exactly how it was when the father killed himself. the clothes in the closet, the study room left untouched, the pictures everywhere. Jane feels suffocated, and it's understandable. it touched me deeply. another thing that made me cry was when Jane talked about the day her father died. on that day she watched TV, she was so focused on the show that when he came and kissed her forehead she was mad at him, he was disturbing her. He apologised and went to his study room, a little while later he shoot himself. that scene reminded me something important, that we need to treasure our loved ones and the time we have with them. that we need to be watchful, so we'll know what they are going through. and also, it reminded me of a lesson i learned long ago; "we never know our last moment with some is the last, we tend to hope for more, for the future". i learned that lesson when i was ten and my grandmother died. which is why, that scene touched me deeply. even today, there are many things i want to share with her but i can't. My final judgement: with that tone, i think Morel did a nice job. some elements of the story were well developed emotionally, others weren't. i wanted to give it 4 stars, but i can't. why? because at the end of the day, it could have been much better. because after crying on the very first chapter i had high hopes of this book- and that's all they were, hopes. the story did not disappoint me. it's good, overall it's recommended. but that's all.