SharonL

Sharon L

"My imagination has always topped anything a movie could come up with"

-Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

The Diviners
Libba Bray
The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #2)
Anne Rice
The Carnelian Legacy
Cheryl Koevoet
Bittersweet Revenge - Monroe Scott For a while, meaning ever since i finished reading the story, i was pondering as to how to review it. The pdf file is only 60 pages, so short, in fact, that summerising the plot without some spoilers seems pretty impossible. However, i'm gonna try my best. I'll try to make this review like a list- but my thoughts just might wonder around, so bear with me. On the one hand, writing is hard, there are authors that won't be able to tell in 200 pages what Monroe tells us in 60. For that i appreciate her, especially when considering how hard writing really is. Credit is due also when the plot is concerned. And the master plan of the revenge- the way Allison got Rick disbanded from serving as a lawyer was great too. And where the author fell to some cliches of the genre she also avoided others. As for the steamy scenes- they were good, really good.Then, what is the problem? if the plot and the revenge are good, so what if the author used some cliches? Why 3 stars? To put it bluntly- the length of the story and the writing. 60 pages makes the story tight, with no place to be bored but with a lot of place to roll your eyes. Don't misunderstand- it was a quick read, and i guess some pepole would consider it dark at times- but for a plot as full as this one 60 pages are not enough. And as a result it felt more like a snippest into a story THEN a story. Something like seeing a five minutes trailer for a movie and then to discover that THAT was the movie.It felt more like an idea in the making. And it was even more painful if you consider the fact that sometimes there was a ray of hope that PROVED that the author has potential. You see, while reading this book i couldn't help but thinking how it COULD have been. And i wanted to read it, i wanted so much to read what could have been. Because, most of the time we were told of something, we weren't shown it, and that what makes all the diferrence. Because when it was supposedly painful for one of the characters, i didn't feel it, or when the character was supposedly madly in love it didn't feel like it. Not for real. And when the character acted completely different from what i've been told she is it didn't make sense, and it didn't make her complicated, just plain stupid and annoying. Also- sometimes the characters acted in a way that no one in their right mind would have acted (yes, i'm talking about the fact that he forgave her for what she's done. Are you kidding me? She ruined his life! And he? Coming more then two years after what he had done with the line of- "i'm so sorry, i've been thinking of what i did to you the entire time, and i've been sorry ever since, but only now, that my life is scewed did i remember you and what i've done and i claim to still love you. Sorry, but bulit!) So yes we'd been told of an instant all mighty love. I know. What we've been shown was a great physical attraction. Another thing is- the guy, if i caculated right is in his 40's if not approaching 50, but most of the time he acts like a kid, and almost all the time he didn't feel like a man- with all the right lines that would make a woman swoon but a guy would never say, with the super chicky attitude, and all the 'i love u's forever and eva!'.Allison's age was hard to make as well when her attitude contradicted the given information about her.I know, i've been complaining non stop. But i have a point, and i'm getting to it. As for the ending- a few pages before it, right after the revenge had been executed, i was talking with a friend on the phone. And i usually share with her everything regarding books i read. Anyway, i told her of this story and i said: "so right now she's with the other guy, and the revenge had been executed and i think it's a good place to wrap up things and finish the story. BUT, i can see the author wants her to end up with the lawyer and i don't see that happens." So yes, Monroe managed to pull it off- and i really didn't see that coming and it felt somewhat forced, once again a character acted out of character. I know this is supposed to be a thriller and we are supposed to be suprised with all the twists and turns, but there's a way to do it- and it's not by changing a characters behavior without implying even with tiniest clue that such a posibillity does exist. Overall, i did enjoy reading it, but it didn't stuck with me. And i doubt i would have remembered it to great detail like i do had i not needed to write a review. The story is mainly average and at times a bit below. For a first it shows potential. I'm pretty sure after a few more versions and drafts it could have been really (really!) good. Also, the writer will improve with time- her ideas are great, and her writing is readable and even good in those rare few times she showed, rather then told. So i guess i will be waiting to see if she fullfil her potential, i hope she does. The Pdf file was kindly provided for me by the author in return for an honest review. No favors granted or exchanged.