SharonL

Sharon L

"My imagination has always topped anything a movie could come up with"

-Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

The Diviners
Libba Bray
The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #2)
Anne Rice
The Carnelian Legacy
Cheryl Koevoet

Darkfever (Fever, #1)

Darkfever (Fever #1) - Karen Marie Moning so before I picked this book up I was about to catch a plane and fly someplace top secret where I could hunt vampires, fight weres and maybe even hook up with some hot sexy, super strong and kick ass dude who would totally be amazed from how kickass I am and my vast knowledge on supernatural creatures.I also planned to stop by Tinkerbelle's house for some fairy dust and other stuff that would make my life as super urban fantasy heroine easier.But I had to start reading Darkfever just minutes before my flight, and my world turned upside down.Because Mac made an important point- maybe, just maybe, reading about these adventures is far better than having them. Vampires? According to Mac and Barrons I better hope I won't run into that. TinkerBell? I'll think twice before paying her a visit. Hot sexy dude? Well, good luck comparing to Barrons. Me going all "super urban fantasy heroine"? Well I think it's time to think it over. Mac made me think that it might not be that much fun.Now hear my explanation- With each book we read we embark on a journey, an adventure. We kill vampires, hunt for treasures and solve murders, every once in a while we fall in love or encounter something big that is a bit over our heads. But we always come out on top- and if we didn't it is not the end just yet, folks. We almost always know the world we adventure in, and things are black and white- good is good and bad is bad.But have you ever wondered what it would be like if you'll wake up tomorrow and learn all these things on TV, all the supernatural is true? That all of sudden you live in the world you only read about before (if you even read of it) and it caught you with your pants down? “My philosophy is pretty simple – any day nobody’s trying to kill me is a good day in my book.” Well, need no imagine. Because Mac already went through it for you. Blonde, innocent sweet southern Barbie Mac already had her world shattered just like a rolling snowball- and it started with a big bang. Her sister is dead.And you know what? As we explore that new world with her we learn being smart is not enough, you need the devil's luck as well. Just to stay alive. And you need alliance, preferably with someone to whom you are worth better alive than dead. Nothing is black and white, it is all shades of grey(see what I did there, Cory?) and you better be prepared for you limits and values and everything that ever defined you to be stretched to the max, to be shaken out of your comfort zone so badly you can barely remember how it was before. "You always wonder how you'll handle a moment of crisis; if you've got what it takes to fight ot you've just been deluding yourself all along that somewhere deep inside you there's steel beneath the magnolia. Now I knew the truth-" Mac's journey is just like that. Full of hot, carnal, savages men that can't be trusted, Creatures that would leave you sleeping with the lights on, and ugly truth about life that will spring out of the book and hunt you down. Moning's writing is addictive, the characterization of most of the characters is at minimum well done, and Mac's and Barrons' characterizations are a masterpiece. “Electric, wild, one foot in the swamp. Never going to crawl all the way out. And I wanted to have sex with whatever he was." Barrons is all dark, manly, violent and mysterious. He has layers to be discovered in later books. “A lamb in a city of wolves.” And Mac is this girl who at first glance looks like a Barbie doll. She's pretty on the eyes, young, innocent, from a good home. She is blonde and dress in pink (are you having legally blonde moment yet?) “You, Ms. Lane, are a menace to others! A walking, talking catastrophe in pink!” She's also smart and learn fast though not fast enough. She has steel beneath her magnolia, though it takes time for it to come out. She's optimistic, and funny and real . I love Mac for all that she is, I adore her. I know many people don't because she's supposedly stupid and not kick ass enough, but I have the courage to admit were I in her situation I would do no better than her (even after all the UF I read).She and Barrons do not stand on equal footing, though she did manage once to make him her little bitch (you want to know, I can tell you do. But I ain't telling. Read for yourself)So yeah, this is one hell of a ride and this book is only the beginning. It is dark and only gets darker in later books. Moning does not spare her readers.I approached this book with a criticizing mind- ready for the slightest thing to disappoint me, I heard so much about it there was no way it could've held up to it's reputation. But it did. It blew through my defenses and won me over, it changed my reading experience more than I can explain- but I'll still try in my reviews of the other books in the series. If you love UF books, I plead you to give it a try. And if you'll get the fever as badly as I did then here is something to keep in mind, It gets dark and scary and your only consolation would be this; the books are told from a retrospective POV and "Although it may not seem like it, this isn’t a story about darkness. It’s about light"