SharonL

Sharon L

"My imagination has always topped anything a movie could come up with"

-Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

The Diviners
Libba Bray
The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #2)
Anne Rice
The Carnelian Legacy
Cheryl Koevoet

The Distance Between Us

The Distance Between Us - Kasie West As seen on the blog4.5 starsOn a first glance, the Distance Between Us is the your typical summer chick lit read. Only a YA one (adults are allowed to enjoy too). Really when I first saw the book I thought it would be Boy meets Girl and summer love. In many ways it is. The formulated part of the genre is executed exactly that way - down to how the MC and the boy don't get along immediately But you see, this one book this particular book is very different to me. Why? Becauseā€¦.well, I prepared a list! 1. The doll shop- yes, Caymen and her mother own a doll shop- those porcelain 'freakish-that-totally-give-me-nightmares' dolls. 2. Caymen and her mother are really poor and you're not only told of that fact but shown as well. The fact that most of the dolls boxes are empty, when her mother buys juice Caymen is really surprised, and their meals do not consist of meat 3. Susan, aka Caymen's mom, so yeah, I kind of saw the big revelation about her in the end coming. That woman gave birth to a child out of wedlock, got cut off her family and she hates rich people. But you know what? She's a selfish little twat, she goes after her passion (by having a doll shop), she raises her daughter in the kind of stressing poor environment, she's irresponsible and actually expects her teenage daughter to help her in the shop and inherit it from her afterwards without thinking that her daughter might have other dreams. I'm sorry but that pure selfishness and even though I presented it more or less in an exaggerated way that doesn't change the bottom line. I didn't love Caymen's mom, but I did like her a little because she raised a wonderful daughter and she was very realistic. 4. Xander- he's the rich boy, the one that helps Caymen see that even though many of the stereotypes she had on rich people are true rich people are still human and can still be very charming, lovely and fun to be with. You see he had his faults and I wanted to punch him a few times, he acted like a spoiled little brat sometimes like when his friend trashed on Caymen and he didn't stand up for her, or when his cousin did something similar in a way he was ignorant to the fact that some people just live differently. He also bordered on stalker with meeting her every morning before she went to school. But since Caymen didn't mind it, I didn't either. 5. Skye- Caymen's best friend. She was a good friend and one rarely seen in most YA books, actually I encountered such a good BF only twice before one on the Kate Daniels series (yes, Ellis it's directed to you) and the second on Going La La (by Alexandra Potter- a lovely summer read) but I haven't read that much contemporary or chick-lit so maybe I'm the one at fault. Also her boyfriend was a good boy and they fitted each other. 6. The friendship- the friendship between Caymen and Xander with their little rituals and how they got to know each other better was really great (in many ways I liked them better that way)7. The relationship- there wasn't much of it but for a standalone the romance still developed at a decent enough pace as well as slowly enough. There was immediate attraction but not insta-love. Also, the time Xander was courting Caymen he did that gently, he was going all macho with a violent attitude, and the little occasional touch was really sweet. 8. This leads me to the most important part- Caymen. I LOVE YOU CAYMEN! Caymen easily makes it to the list of my Beloved Female Characters of All Times right there with Anne (from persuasion) and Kate Daniels. She's rational, she loves science, she's mature, funny and sarcastic and I just loved her from the first sentence. She was human in her reactions and actions. She had to balance between helping her mother and living her own life and she did that well (with Xander's help). She was funny and I related to her a lot- in many ways she reminded me of myself. Why? Because her rational and analitic side is very much like me, as well as her funny childish side that decided to pull a prank on Xander and TP his house I related to her more than I thought I would. You see from an early age I knew what I wanted to do and I what I wanted to be and Caymen supposedly didn't know- and I thought she and I would have a problem on that point, but she did know and she was only denying it for a while for the sake of her mom. Caymen needed to accept the fact that she doesn't want in on the family business BUT she doesn't want that business to stop (Xander had the same problem more or less), and I relate to that cause my family has a business too one which I grew up in and I love dearly but I'm not sure how I fit in and right now the path I choose doesn't put me in for at least the next several years. I could relate to Caymen on that part. 9. I really loved the "career days" the Caymen and Xander did to each other- you want to know more? READ THIS BOOK10. Yes, in a way things were more or less tied up very neatly at the end, but not so neatly to my taste and I felt that this was just the part where we needed to part with Caymen, her story continues off the pages and I hope it's happy one (or I'll kill you Xander)11. I loved Caymen grandparents, especially the grandfather and the fact that Caymen has his sense of humor So all in all, I really loved this book, it was a fast, fun fantastic read that kept me smiling most of the part and even the drama ilma was written without too much drama and tears and I appreciated that a lot (I don't like it when the drama is too dramatic, which is why me and Shakespeare never got along too well).It is not 5 starts cause as I mentioned I still had issues, and they made hot chocolate with water (too see how to make good hot chocolate visit Ellis's review).